Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Honk Honk

I'm not one to utilize the horn on my car very often. My preferred method of displaying dissatisfaction with the driver in front of me is to shine my brights in his rearview mirror. It's more subtle (aurally) and yet typically quite effective (visually)- especially when it's dark. And, it focuses the direction of the complaint upon the one causing the infraction (instead of 13 different people wondering if they were being honked at).

So, I'm fresh from picking up Ang and Mia from the airport, and we decide to hit Macaroni Grill for a nice little "welcome home!" dinner. I'm waiting at a stop light, in the right-hand lane of dual-left turn lanes. Once I turn left, I need to make an almost immediate right into the restaurant park. Our arrows turn green, so I begin my turn. Remember- I'm happily conversing with Ang about her cross-country (almost) ventures.

Imagine my surprise...dismay...complete angst (!!) when halfway through my turn, a huge, white-paneled van comes from my right and is also making a left-hand turn. He came from the "straight" lanes and butts his way into my turn lane. Out of nowhere. With no regard for the oncoming turning traffic, nor for me and my precious cargo.

So I let him have it. Horn blasted for about 2 seconds. Then, after recalling my "complete angst" once again, I lay on the horn for another 2 or 3 seconds. Literally, he came out of my blind spot and just turned right in front of me. What made it worse was his New Jersey tags (nothing against you's guys from Jersey, but you have a reputation - b/c you live near NY, supposedly).

Now he's in front of me. And the right-turn lane comes, and I get in it. He doesn't. I start to say, "If he even thinks of..." and before the words finish, he CUTS IN FRONT OF ME AGAIN!!! This time, ignoring the right turn lane and turning from the travel lane.

And boy, did I let him have it. For like 5 or 6 seconds, I just held my horn down.

Excessive? Yes. Required and justified? Definitely.

2 comments:

i,Sardonicus said...

Darn Yankee Drivers.

The Brain said...

That's what I like about driving my van. Every time something like that happens, I think, "keep honking little guy, I'm still in front of you. And your high beams don't even reach up to my mirrors."