Thursday, August 31, 2006

Happy is a Yuppie Word

Okay, so I must not have the best hearing in the world. At the Switchfoot concert we went to a few weeks ago, they sang this song, "Happy is a Yuppie Word." Great song. Regrettably, I couldn't understand most of the words during the concert (*no comments, Daddy-o*).

I can't remember right now what I thought they were singing, but it was pretty funny compared to the real words. Remarkably, Angela knew exactly what they were saying.

Nonetheless, there was another song they sang, where the guy kept singing, "I'm standing on the edge..." and he was on the edge of the stage. I was wondering if the song was some weird ballad about almost committing suicide. My mind was a bit fuzzy.

Well, now, I wish I had really listened to their albums before going to the concert. The song is "On Fire" and is a beautiful, almost modern-day hymn of being on fire when God speaks to you, searching the mysteries of God. Now that I've listened (and looked up the words), he's singing, "I'm standing on the edge of me." As in, I'm getting past myself, giving myself up, and I'm burning to understand the mystery of God and who He is. Or, it could be taken to mean, I'm standing on the edge of new horizons, of everything I can be in Christ, those things I've never been but are now possible.

Here are part of the lyrics:

I'm standing on the edge of me
I'm standing on the edge of everything I've never been before.
And i've been standing on the edge of me
Standing on the edge

And I'm on fire
When You're near me
I'm on fire
When You speak
(Yea) I'm on fire
Burning at these mysteries... these mysteries... these mysteries
Ah you're the mystery
You're the mystery



I think you need to just listen to the song. It's one of my new favorites. Another one is coming soon.

2 comments:

the Tyrant said...

it's too bad you're deaf, we all understood what he was singing :-P

Anonymous said...

Danny, I'm with you. Unless I have the song memorized, I always hear other words than what are being sung. I even mess us up our beloved Third Day's lyrics *gasp* Just this morning I figured out that a Mark Shultz song on the radio I've always been puzzled by says "I have been there" NOT "I am abandoned" (which is what it SOUNDS like he is singing.)