Thursday, February 05, 2009

Fonics is Phun

Especially when you're talking to a 2 1/2 year old. Case in point...

This afternoon I was helping Amelia wash her hands, and as we were working the soap into a rich lather on her hands (reminiscent of the instructions you'd find on a Pantene shampoo bottle), she asked me, "What kind of soap is this?" I get this question a lot, pretty much every time we wash our hands.

I answered, "liquid soap" (as opposed to "foaming soap" or "anti-bacterial soap.") With an impish little grin, she then proceeded to stick out her tongue as if to lick the soap off her hands. Just as tongue was about to touch soap bubble, I intervened and said, "No, honey, we don't lick soap. Yuck!" To which she replied, "But it's liquid soap, Mommy."

It took me about a second and then it happened: that wonderful, sometimes shocking, flash of insight when for a moment you catch a brief glimpse into the mechanics of the toddler brain, the process of information, and the response that inevitably--but always unpredictably-- follows.

I said "liquid," but she thought "LICK-WID!"

Ah, precious girl, evre da wif u is grat!


~Posted by Ang

No comments: