Friday, January 30, 2009

I've been Chosen!

~Posted by Ang

I received this in the mail yesterday from Biltmore Who's Who, a company I've never heard of in my life. But, apparently, my recent professional achievements have caught their attention and made a deep impression. Yes, just when I thought those homemaking skills had gone unnoticed, that my prowess as home manager, wife, and mother was being ignored by society at large, Biltmore Who's Who has stepped in not only to acknowledge but also to publicize the success I've had as an executive in my profession. After all, I am a home executive, right??

Dear [my full name],

You were recently chosen as a potential candidate to represent the professional and business community of Broadlands, Virginia in the Biltmore
2009 Honors Edition of Who's Who Among Executives and Professional Women. [A stay-at-home mom chosen to represent a community whose career women would gasp at the thought of someone so far removed from their business and, in their minds, the professional sector representing them and their business interests?? Yeah right!! I guess they did just say "potential candidate"...]

We are pleased to notify you that your candidacy was formally approved January sixteenth, two thousand nine. Your confirmation will be validated within seven business days following our receipt of your enclosed Verification. [yes, no typo, the v is capitalized]

There is no cost to be listed. However it is by Committee invitation only. [Wow, I feel so honored. But seriously what is with the Orwellian-1984-esque capitalization of words that really do not need to be capitalized.]

The Publishing Committee selected you as a potential candidate, based upon your current standing as well as criteria from executive and professional rosters. [Hmmm, what rosters would those be...nursery committee?] Given your background, the Publishing Director believes your profile would make a fitting addition to our Honors Edition publication. [Aww, now that's just swell.]

Once finalized, your listing will share prominent space in the Biltmore Registry with thousands of fellow achievers across the nation, each representing individual accomplishment within their own geographical area.

Our Registry confirmation deadline for January candidates is February 27, 2009. To ensure you are included in our next edition, we must receive your Verification mailed back on or before that date.

Ms. Davis, on behalf of our Committee I salute your accomplishments. [If you've missed the r in my title, you have no idea of my accomplishments.] Welcome to the Biltmore's Who's Who roster. [Quite an assumption, there.]

Sincerely,
[Registry Administrator]


Well, thank you, Biltmore Who's Who, but instead of a line in your registry, how about free tickets for 4 to take a tour of the Biltmore?? That would be much more in line with my interests, and any networking I care to do can take place in the halls and grounds of one of the most beautiful estates in our nation. I have no idea how you got my name, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't in any documented listing of working professionals in my community, seeing as how if there were one I'm almost certain I wouldn't make it in there, though I'm flattered by your condescension. My "professional accomplishments" are not generally acknowledged by the powers that be here on this earth, and that's fine by me. Nevertheless, your letter was entertaining, so thanks for a good laugh!

P.S. A quick Google search suggests this company/offer is a scam, but no surprise there!

No comments: