Saturday, January 10, 2009

Finishing vacation

I'm supposed to be giving Addy her dream-feed right now, but I'm procrastinating. Why, I'm not sure (the football game is basically over - ARIZONA???). Oh, and before the actual post - Ang said she thought she'd take over the dream-feed. You see how that's turned out....but anyway.

We finished our nice vacation with a visit from Angela's parents and grandparents (they came to my folks' house for an evening to have dinner and open presents). I went to bed at 11:30 on New Year's Eve. Then we started packing up, and Friday - after the girls' naps - we hit the road.

Whereas on the trip down the girls did super-great in the hotel room, the return trip reminded us that our angels aren't perfect. I blame it on the fact that Amelia slept for about an hour in the car before we got to the hotel room. I.e. - she wasn't tired at all when it was bed time. And when Amelia is hyped up, running around, and talking - Addy just can't focus or fall asleep (she adores her big sis).

Finally about, oh, 12:30 Addy settled down. And I think Mia finally got quiet at 1 or 1:30 (she was laying in bed, trying to quietly sing "If You're Happy and You Know It" - but she kept clapping her hands and then loudly wispering "HOORAY!" - *sigh*). Of course, they both woke up around 6:30....

A continental b'fast and Starbucks later, we were on the road again (we had stopped in Lake Norman, just north of Charlotte). The girls got a much needed nap and we made it all the way the Christiansburg, VA for a Cracker Barrel breakfast (at noon!).

We got home at 6pm, unloaded, and were just happy to have made it in one piece. Until 2am. I heard a panicked scream from Mia and was on my feet in 1.3 seconds. I paused when she was quite, and then heard another yelp. I ran into her room to find - oh man - she had thrown-up. First time. And she was that combination of scared/upset/hurting/nastiness that comes with throwing-up.

I went and got Ang, and then said, "I don't feel too good myself," although that happens when you jump out of bed in a hurry. She thought, "Yeah, he just doesn't want to deal with it." Except - yeah, I didn't feel too good myself. And so the two of us were sick all night long. I can't complain about Angela not helping me during my turmoil, as she got no sleep and had to change Mia's clothes at least 5/6 times during the night.

I struggled into work on Tuesday because of meetings, but left slightly early. I came home to Ang feeling bad (she had avoided it to this point), shaky, and cold. And less than an hour later she was commiserating with what we had gone through. Hers passed more quickly than mine (though just as violent), but that's b/c I got short bits of sleep between "bouts." She couldn't sleep, so it seemed almost constant. Thankfully, when I watched the girls on Wednesday as Ang got her needed rest, Mia was still really tired and getting over her sickness, so she slept almost all day long. And Addy had her best naps she's ever had for me - so I wasn't too terribly stressed.

We're all better now - just still taking it easy on certain foods. And now we can successfully check that box that says we've survived our child having the stomach bug.

3 comments:

Sarah M. said...

If you're happy and you know it. "HORRAY!" LOL - I'm sorry, it wasn't funny, but it is funny to us. :)

DcD said...

Actually, Angela and I were trying our best to stifle our laughter. We were so tired and it was so funny - but just at a bad time!

Unknown said...

Just wondering what dream-feed is?