Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Things I've Learned from 24 - Part V

As a recompense for having made all you faithful readers wait more than 12 hours for my 24 comments, I thought I'd pass along a bonus feature.

Part V - It's Okay to Hand the President Over to Terrorists

This one is actually a little difficult. But I don't think I can agree whatsoever with Jack Bauer at the end of the 7pm hour (or whatever time it is in 24-world). He yelled at the President and told her his job was to protect her. She yelled back and said she IS the President and therefore he must obey her. Which he did.

I don't think a Secret Service Agent's job is to obey the President. I think his/her job is to protect the President. And sometimes that means protecting him/her against his/her best judgment. Do I want the Pres' daughter to die by mutilation? No. But do I want to leave the safety and security of the lockdown room and jeopardize the President's well-being. Absolutely not.

I don't see how in real life an Agent would have actually done that. But I haven't read the handbook, so maybe there's an asterisk at the end:

" *If confronted with a situation where the President insists on you taking an action that would compromise his/her safety, only comply when the life of an immediately family member is at stake."

ps - I actually didn't see much of 24 last night - I don't think I caught any of the first hour, and maybe only 40 minutes of the second. So if I missed a killer "TILF24" - post it as a comment!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what TILF24 means but I do know that if you were prez and that was Mia out there you would be out in a nano second!! You're prez for 8 yrs. max. You're a parent for life. Besides we all know getting Jack out there is where he needs to be to get a drop on all those bad dudes!

MOM