Saturday, December 16, 2006

Faster than a Speeding Bullet

Ang - the sweetheart she is - got me a gift card for a sporting goods store so that I could buy myself a 3-wood for Christmas. Since she and Mia are out of town, I decided to brave the last minute shoppers and headed out to the mall. [Overall, not a bad experience, actually.]

After playing golf with my cousin and uncle over Labor Day, my cousin noted that I'd probably be better off with a new set of irons than a 3-wood, as my irons are my Grandaddy Mac's old clubs (probably at least 20-30 years old, heavy as a brick, and very unforgiving).

I asked the sales assoc. what a good set of irons would be, and he asked if I needed just irons, or a complete golf set. I said just the irons at first, but then remarked that I didn't have a good 3-wood or 5-wood. For the same price as the irons he took me to, he also showed me a full set that were just as good and had everything I needed. I asked if I could hit a couple clubs in the practice area, and he said sure.

Well, sure enough, I pull out the 3-wood, and what do I do but smack it 225 yards (that's a lot, for me). Not too shabby. Then, I pick up the 6-iron, and lo and behold - I hit it 174 yards (I've never even hit my current 3-iron that far). I was sold.

I consulted with Ang, who was on her way to Brian's graduation (yeah, Brian!) and she agreed that I could purchase the set. Now, I have an extra bag, which I may sell on eBay, but I'm ready to play golf (considering it's going to be in the upper-60's tomorrow). Any takers??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm in, just pick a course in the greater KC area...