Thursday, July 27, 2006

Hack-ed

As part of renewing our 2 yr contract with Verizon, our Wireless provider, Ang and I updgraded to new phones- the Motorola RAZR V3m. Ang got pink, I got silver.

Well, as with most Verizon phones, they decide to disable a number of features that are available under most other CDMA carriers.

So leave it to the power of the internet to find all the information you need to bring your phone back to a fully-functional device. With a bit of trepidation, I ventured into this realm, and the results have been amazing.

Hacks:
1) Enable the "Vibe & Ring" function, which was noticeably missing
2) Disable (replace) startup and shutdown VCAST animations (simply annoying)
3) Replace startup and shutdown sounds (which were too long and loud and annoying)
4) Change banner that says "Verizon Wireless" to say "Danny Davis" on inside and outside of phone
5) Change picture that shows up on outside LCD when the flip is open.

It no longer feels like one big advertisement for Verizon, but instead it is my phone, with my photos, my name, sounds, etc etc. Here's to hexadecimal bit editing.

No comments: