Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Push Poll 101

I just received a phone call that is the epitome of a push-poll.

Phone rings-
Danny (D): Hello?
Poller (P): My name is __ and I have two quick questions about the special election on Tuesday, Jan. 31st.
D: Okay.
P: First, if the election were held today, would you vote for Dick Black's son-in-law Mick Staton, or for Supervisor Mark Herring?
D: (lol) That's a funny question. Mick Staton.
P: Mick Staton. And second, what issue was most influential in determining who you would vote for: 1- (I can't remember, but it may have been about development); 2- marital equality; or 3- taxes.
[I was caught off guard, b/c I was expecting "transportation needs" to be an option]
D: Uhhh, taxes.
P: Okay, and for purposes of disclosure, this poll was paid for by Equality Virginia. Thank you.

[For those who don't know, Equality Virginia is a pro-homosexual, gay marriage, etc. lobbying group.]

Now- two things of note:
1- Mick Staton isn't running as Dick Black's son-in-law. He's running as a sitting Supervisor on the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors who has a great history of helping reduce the tax rate, find attainable transportation solutions, and understanding the issues very well.
2- Mark Herring is not a Supervisor. He was one in the past, but he no longer is.

Almost from the moment I picked up I had an inkling it was a Herring-favored poll. I'm glad I had the opportunity to give them an answer from the "other" side....

No comments: