Monday, May 11, 2009

Thought you'd get a chuckle out of this one

This came from my Dad. They're keeping the girls this week for us.
 


...so as the low rumbling of thunder awakens me and I try to figure out whether today is trash day or not (truck or thunder?) I wait for another sound/ flash.  It doesn't take long and I see a flash.  Thankfully I went to bed early.

I launch into weather monitoring mode and listen for stirring in other rooms as I head to weather central - iMac live Doppler and kitchen TV monitor.  As the storms approach I confirm that they will have heavy rain and some boomers but nothing specifically threatening.  Within 15 minutes Mia is awake and in despair.  I take her to Grandma's bed and haven't heard from her since.

Addy cries a few times but settles back down.  The boomers get more frequent and louder but still far enough away not to be threatening.  By now the storms will be at their peak within 10 minutes.  The Dish feed dies for about 14 of those 10 minutes... yeah, you read that right... so I rely on the Internet for storm monitoring.  The TV was just a backup anyway.

As the rain is it's hardest with a few occasional booms, everything seems OK in Storm Central.  The rain lessens to moderate, one final boom lets loose and Addy starts crying.  Abby woke up with this one and takes care of Addy.  She (Addy) fusses and we try to decide whether she will go back to sleep or not.  Wisely, Abby says she'll rock her and try to settle her down.  I only think of food, naturally.  Here come the chuckles.

I figure I can make a bottle of formula to have ready if Addy needs it.  So I grab a bottle and start pouring the Nursery water.  What?!!!  I must be sleepy, I missed the bottle!  And I didn't just hit the rim and spill a few drops, I missed it completely!  By now you know what happened... I'm clueless and I guess not as alert as I thought I was.

So I wipe up the water off of the floor and go to the sink, thankfully, to pour the water more carefully.  It all goes down the sink!  What?!!!  OH!!! DUH!!!  The rest was uneventful but I had to laugh at myself and thought you might get a chuckle too.

All's quiet outside and in the back.  I'm assuming Aunt Abby got Addy back to sleep.  The bottle is waiting for later consumption.  I'm awake now (I think) and went ahead and made some coffee.  It is an opportunity to get some work done.  It takes a family, not a village.

Thankfully I went to bed early.

Love,

Grandpa

If you didn't catch on, it's not that Grandpa missed the bottle. It's that he  forgot to put the bottom on the bottle. For those not used to bottomless cups, it's a fair mistake. Only once, though. =)

No comments: