Thursday, December 04, 2008

Civic Duty??

I was summoned for jury duty late in October. The dates I was called to serve were the week of Thanksgiving and the week after (this week). Oh, did I mention it was US District Court....which is in Alexandria....and that it was THANKSGIVING WEEK!!??

Yeah - my reaction, too. First off, I got Wed the 26th deferred because I was traveling for the holiday. But I had to sweat it each night until I called in to see if I was needed.

Not that I minded serving on jury duty. In fact, I was really looking forward to it. US District Court, trial jury, in Alexandria. Some of the cases are high profile (although I've heard the court referenced as the "Rocket Docket" for how quickly cases get through it). It would have been a great experience, not to mention my civic duty.

But the catch - there could not have been a worse two weeks for this to come up. I had to take Ang and the gals to BWI on Monday. I had three major projects for work to complete on Tuesday. The following week (after Thanksgiving) - I had two meetings, two more work projects, and the girls came back home on Tuesday. Oh, and all the normal work stuff that comes up during a day.

So I wasn't too upset when I kept getting "You have not been selected for jury duty at this time." And then "The time commitment for this jury pool has been completed. Thank you for your service." Whew!

Maybe next time I'll get summoned during the summer - when work slows down at least a little.

No comments: