Saturday, May 17, 2008

My social ineptitude

I like to think that I handle myself pretty well at social events. This past Thursday night, our Economic Development Dept. held a "VIP Reception" for the important business leaders in the County. As my duties include significant interaction with this constituency, I naturally attended.

I don't think I said anything too stupid. I didn't stand around awkwardly without anyone to talk to (about 220+ people there - I probably knew 70% or so?). I tried not to talk with my mouth full. I even got to introduce some folks who needed to meet.

Finally, after about 2 1/2 hours, it was time for me to get home. I was walking to my car, reached in my pocket, and realized I had 3 or 4 crumpled napkins in my left pocket. And then it hit me. I'm a napkin-hogger.

Plain and simple, I will take a napkin every time the hors d'oeuvre tray comes around. I never want to have any remote chance of being without a napkin. And, I'll wipe my mouth 15 times to make sure I didn't leave any chocolate on my lips (chocolate fondue fountain - YUM!). I guess there could be worse habits.

On a funny note - about 10 minutes into the event, someone caught a napkin on fire. Almost could have been a scene out of a movie: tried to dump it in a glass, but they could stuff it far enough down. Tried to shake it out. Tried to blow it out (but just blew ashes all over the table). Finally, someone (with a PhD in science - I'm serious) grabbed two plates, put the burning napkin on one, and put the other on top. Close off the oxygen source = fire goes out.

And finally (this post ended up longer than expected) - someone had sponsored for a duo from NE Tennessee to come and preform "background" music. Absolutely phenomenal. One website compared them as a blend of Allison Krauss, Nickel Creek, and a little pop of Chris Rice. Anyway - worth a listen (although I haven't downloaded the CD yet from iTunes). Check out Alathea.

No comments: