Monday, August 20, 2007

Barry Bonds

So my sis asked about my thoughts on Barry Bonds. Here's a quick rundown:

1) Did Barry use performance enhancing drugs? Yes
2) Did it help him hit more home runs? Yes
3) Does it negate the amazing feat? No
4) Is Bud Selig a doofball? Yes

Here's my thought. I think Bud realizes that baseball didn't do enough to prevent the use of performance enhancing drugs. Should they have? Maybe, maybe not. Surely the McGwire/Sosa home run race brought baseball back from the dead zone. And there was no condemnation of their efforts, or attempts to curb steroid use after their historic years.

So all in all, I think Bud feels a twinge of guilt. He realizes that he could have stepped up. He could have instituted better drug testing, made earlier attempts to set harsh fines for drug use (as he's done now). But instead, he sat on his laurels (is that the phrase??) and it's now turned into a huge controversy.

Asterisks. Speculation. Air of suspicion.

Thanks, Bud.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could come back with some great remark about this post, but, being the sports un-fan that I am, I can't. :-P Thanks for posting! Nice to hear your point of view on it.

Anonymous said...

I read Game of Shadows. It's not speculation. Barry is guilty. And he shouldn't have Aaron's record. He's a Hall of Famer, but he does not deserve the record. Here's hoping A-rod breaks it soon.

Anonymous said...

Sorry... Anonymous is me.