Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Busted

So, about 7 months ago I blogged about getting a PocketPC phone for work. I was excited to be on the leading edge of technology with a very powerful phone/PDA combo.

I'm still excited about the Cingular 8125. It has a lot of potential. In fact, WindowsMobile 5 is a fairly well built mobile OS, with a few flaws I don't like. (I'd really like a Motorola Q, but that's another story.)

However, it has become painfully clear that the main purpose for getting it (besides having the mobile for work) - which is quick and easy e-mail access - just wasn't quick and easy. In fact, it was quite painful and taxing. There is a solution to allow our GroupWise server to "push" e-mail just like a Blackberry. But, the County isn't going to take the time to implement a new technology for just one guy.

So after some thought and a few e-mails to my boss - I'm ditching the PocketPC and getting a Blackberry. Yes, you scoundrels, start tossing your rotten tomatoes at me (or back at me, as I've tossed them out previously). "But Blackberries aren't as 'powerful' Mr. Techno-Man." "You don't need instantaneous e-mail." "It doesn't have a touch screen."

All true - but what I need now is integration. What I need is seemless synchronization. And that's what I'll get. I'll post my thoughts after playing - **ahem, working** - on my Blackberry for a few days.

No comments: