Friday, February 10, 2006

"but Christian music is COOL!"

I'm going to attempt a "series" of posts on an interesting topic: CCM (or Contemporary Christian Music). Growing up, my brother and I listened to our share of CCM, enjoying the truly great artists (Rich Mullins, Michael Card, etc) and quite often mocking the cheesy songs/artists.

Thus, I've decided to start remarking on certain CCM songs today. I'm not judging based upon music quality, but upon lyrics- dumb lyrics that people write just so the song is "Christian".

A bit of background- I've gone through cycles of radio listening habits- from Christian to secular to sports and back to Christian. These days it's a combination, often sports radio (if Ang isn't in the car) and Christian (if she is). Secular stations are now a sort of last resort, if there's just nothing else on (partially due to the fact that our favorite station changed its focus and started doing more 70's and 80's music- not in Ang'e range of tolerance).

And the WINNER is.....

The first CCM song to incur the mocking blow of DcD is- "I Choose You" by Point of Grace (you can download a clip here) .


Here's the chorus:
And I choose You
All my attention, affection
And all my devotion’s for You
If everybody’s worshipping something
I choose You

Did you catch that? "If everybody's worshipping something, I choose You." What kind of argument is that? It's like saying "Hey, everyone's doing drugs, so I choose pot." The only reason you're giving for worshipping God is that everyone else has chosen a God/god/idol, so I might as well choose the Almighty God.

Here's my question- If everyone isn't worshipping something, do they still choose God? If there's no longer the "peer pressure" to worship something, then will they still think it necessary?

My argument (and strong belief) is that our worship of God is borne out of pure humility, thankgiving, and adoration. He is our Creator, Savior, Redeemer, and Glorious King. Now if that isn't enough to get you to worship God....

1 comment:

Chris Davis said...

Dude! We are sitting in Phoenix with Abby and Rachael (and the non-sick Maggie and Sinclair) laughing our heads off at your keen application of logic to the not-so-keen POG lyrics.

Keep it up; somebody has to point out the obvious!

cd